When was the last time you did something just for yourself? It could be anything from a luxurious spa treat or a relaxed, lazy weekend at home all by yourself. I ask because I know how much we women put the needs of others above our own. And as much as that is great and altruistic, I also know that it can drain us physically, emotionally, and mentally.
When we give everything and everyone else 100% and leave nothing much for ourselves, our energy and fulfillment dwindles. It’s harder to be there to support others when we’re barely keeping ourselves together
Self-care doesn’t have to be extravagant. Yes, going to a spa or having dinner with your girlfriends is a great way to indulge yourself once in a while, but there are also simple and inexpensive ways to treat yourself or make yourself a priority on an ongoing basis. Why not enjoy a long soak in the tub on a random weekday? Light some candles, get out those bath salts that Aunty gave you last Christmas, and once the children are in bed immerse yourself.
For me, self-care is a way of recharging, of connecting with myself and doing things that really make me happy. I can tell when it’s been neglected too…low energy and a lack of patience are a sure sign that I need a little “me” time!
Here are a few things that are in my regular self-care rotation:
- Lighting a scented candle while I work – it’s like being at a spa in the middle of the day.
- Sometimes when I order new stock I include something pretty for myself. Pretty (and comfortable!) lingerie makes me happy!
- Taking a yoga class to strengthen and energize my body and give my mind some much-needed quiet time.
- Curling up on my sofa with a romance novel and a steaming cup of chai tea (best when my hubby and daughter are out of the house having their bonding time!).
- I try to set aside time every day to just be still. I’ve found that just 5 minutes in the morning before the rest of the house wakes up helps me to face the day with more calm and ease.
Your indulgent challenge:
This month, take a step back and focus on that one person who deserves your full attention: YOU.
To be eligible to win a $100 Underpinnings gift certificate in March, head over to our Facebook page to share and comment on our #indulgeU2016 posts telling us how you are going to take care of yourself this month